We're a team of two. See what we've been up to. Great to see you here.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Larry Ugale: October 4, 1949 - August 17, 2005


Paddle out for Larry: One man inspired many!


JP called me this weekend, telling me he placed 6th overall at the Oceanside club contest,
surfing left! Unfortunately, he also broke me the tragic news of the passing of Aloha Larry Ugale, a quiet, but influential figure in my surfing timeline. I met Larry, while surfing County Line, having just begun school at UCLA. Larry had the fastest 2 cross-step to hang five I have ever seen in a 50-year old. He "forced" me to join the Ventura Surf Club in 1999, which helped open my mind to longboarding and some fun, experimental times on single-fin logs. Larry sponsored the the soul of surfing. God bless you, Larry. C-street will miss you.


An exerpt from the Ventura County Star:

Lawrence Dexter "Larry" Ugale

A very much loved member of our surfing community has passed away. Larry Ugale Sr., passed away the morning of Wednesday, Aug. 17. 2005.

Larry was a very loving and giving person, a man who lived "Aloha." He was a proud member of the Ventura Surf Club and loved to surf Mondos. If there was a swell, that's where you'd find him, quick to give you a shaka and words of encouragement.

Larry was born on Maui. He lived in the South Bay area and eventually moved north to Ventura. We were all blessed to have him in our lives and he will be missed immensely. We love you Larry!

He is survived by his loving wife of 20 years, Christine; son, Larry Jr.; daughter, Andrea and her husband, Mark; beloved grandchildren, Derek, Devin and Kayci; mother, Florenda Ugale; brothers, Melvin and Desmond; sister, Francine; along with many nieces, nephews and cousins.

There will be a candlelight vigil at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 24, at Surfer's Point in Ventura. There will also be a memorial paddle out at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 27 at Surfer's Point. A potluck will follow.

Donations, in lieu of flowers, may be sent to Larry Jr. in care of Ventura Surf Club, P.O. Box 6305, Ventura, CA 93006.

for more info, also check out http://www.venturasurfclub.org/ugale.htm

08-21-05

1 comment:

Joel oats said...

I just heard the bad news. Larry was a big part of my childhood, and the person who taught me how to surf. R.I.P Larry. Gone but never forgotten!